I made this recipe for my future mother-in-law’s birthday brunch and it turned out so good! I posted a picture of this homemade pastry on my instastory and got so many requests for the recipe. So I figured this delicious coffee cake deserved it’s own blog post 😁. This was SO YUMMY and it wasn’t too hard to make! You will for sure impress people with this recipe!
Note: I did take these pictures after the birthday brunch so the pastries aren’t perfect rings anymore😅😉
ALMOND COFFEE CAKE RING
- 1 1/3 cups warm milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 7-ounce tube of almond paste (I used Odense marzipan almond candy dough)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
-1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- – 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
MAKE THE FILLING
- In a large bowl add the almond paste, cream cheese, and sugar. Beat the ingredients with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
MAKE THE DOUGH
- Whisk together the milk, melted butter, honey, egg yolks, and vanilla for the dough.
- In a large bowl, add the 4 3/4 cups of flour, yeast, and salt. Mix the ingredients on low speed and slowly add the milk mixture until the dough is formed.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and mix for 5 more minutes.
- Lightly flour a surface and move the dough to knead until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Once the dough is smooth, put the dough in a greased/oiled bowl and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
FORM THE COFFEE CAKE RINGS
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper for later.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces and roll each piece out in a rectangle shape (really as much as you can!)
- Spread half of the filling in a strip along the bottom edge of the dough.
- Roll the dough into a tight log and pinch the seam closed. You may have to add some water to help the dough stay closed.
- Move the dough to one of the prepared baking sheets and repeat steps 8-11 with the other piece of dough.
- Shape each dough cylinder into a ring and make some cuts around the outside for venting.
- Lightly spray the coffee cakes with cooking spray and wrap loosely with plastic wrap.
- Let each ring rise for another 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees
- Brush the rings with the eggs white and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Remove the coffee cakes from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool for an hour.
- Whisk together the sugar, softened cream cheese, milk, and vanilla together until smooth. Drizzle it over the cakes!
- Add more almonds if desired